Calicut is a place in northern part of Kerala and is known for its dishes :).Being foodie,yes irrespective of amount of egg and ghee used in the dishes,these are the main ingredients that add flavor to most of the snacks prepared there.This Ramadan,i thought why not try one of the dishes prepared there for Iftar. This is my first attempt into Layered Meat Dishes apart from Pasta and i got the original recipe from a blog,which i will be sharing as well too.
For the First layer-Bread Layer
For Second Layer-For Cooking Chicken
Second Layer-To Make Chicken Masala
Third Layer-Beaten Egg & Roasted Nuts and Raisins
- To make the first layer,Make a batter of first layer ingredients in a blender and keep it aside.The consistency should be thick and drop consistency.
- Grind the spices like clove to cumin to make Masala spice.Make in excess as it will be needed while making
- Cook the chicken pieces either using two chicken breast pieces sliced as cubes (I used 2 leg pieces and four chicken breast pieces with bones).I cooked in a kadai along with Powdered Spices and Masala Spice with frequent stiring. Cook it for about 25 mins till chicken is cooked.
- Remove the cooked chicken and shred it using fork.Now Heat the kadai or pan with oil,Saute onion till transparent.Add ginger- garlic-chilly paste along with cilantro leaves chopped .Add Cooked Chicken and desired salt.Cook till the flavors are even throughout mixture
- Take a Deep dish Sauce Pan-Apply ghee or butter on the base and sides.Pour the first layer of bread-egg batter.Cook it for about 15-20 mins till the upper layer is soft and not moist.Cook with the lid closed
- Once the top layer is cooked ,add the second layer of chicken masala cooked and spread it along.Cook it for about 5 mins by closing the lid.
- For third layer,beat the eggs,pepper & salt.Pour it over the chicken layer.So that the first and second layer is intact.Decorate this with roasted cashews and raisin.Cook this till the top layer has been cooked like omelette and till the top most layer is no longer moist.
- Take a large plate,and bring the cake with the chicken layer facing the plate.Now reverse it and put this back into pan,so that the chicken layer is at the bottom of the pan and the bread on the top.Cook it low flame for about 5 mins.
- Serve it warm.For Step by Step Pictures &
Main Recipe Courtesy Blog:http://www.thasneen.com/cooking/chicken-egg-3-layer-cake-malabar-erachi-pola/